Wednesday, March 28, 2007

The Hands Are Going Again


Being a Sign Language Interpreter, it was important that I expose my children to ASL as early as possible. Christopher loved it when he was little. His first sign was produced around five months of age. More followed and then the spoken language took off.
Sometime after his first birthday, he got into his head that if I wanted to sign, that was fine, but HE was neither looking at me while I did it, nor making any attempt to use the new signs I was using.

No big deal. It happens, especially when other developmental milestones are popping up.

A few weeks ago, he decided that maybe it wasn't such a bad thing to sign after all. So now I have a little parrot. "Mommy, Daddy, hug, cheese, thank you" are all part of his signing dictionary now.


Last week, he surprised Daddy by calling him into the bedroom at bed time. When Daddy showed up, he said and signed, "Daddy, hug please." Suffice it to say that somebody left the room with a big smile on his face.


He's such a cute kid. How'd we get so lucky?

No comments: